CareerBuilder.com is out with its annual survey of the most outrageous interview mistakes candidates have made, so if you’ve ever dealt with toilet-flushers, hair-brushers, or cell-phone hushers, read on.
The careers site asked more than 3,000 hiring managers and HR professionals, and here are some of the wackiest snafus:
Article Continues Below
Guide: Practical Tips for Remote Hiring
- Candidate answered cell phone and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a “private” conversation.
- Candidate told the interviewer he wouldn’t be able to stay with the job long because he thought he might get an inheritance if his uncle died – and his uncle wasn’t “looking too good.”
- Candidate asked the interviewer for a ride home after the interview.
- Candidate smelled his armpits on the way to the interview room.
- Candidate said she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and it was “classified.”
- Candidate told the interviewer he was fired for beating up his last boss.
- When applicant was offered food before the interview, he declined saying he didn’t want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
- A candidate for an accounting position said she was a “people person” not a “numbers person.”
- Candidate flushed the toilet while talking to interviewer during phone interview.
- Candidate took out a hair brush and brushed her hair.