Fancy Titles May Not Work As Retention Device

The results of Korn/Ferry‘s most recent online executive quiz shows that a new title would do little to keep a current employee satisfied.

In fact, when asked whether a bigger job title would be enough to convince workers to stay at a job that they would otherwise leave, 85% said no and 15% said yes.

However, 42% of respondents reported an increase in fancy titles in order to retain talent with their current employer.

Of the approximately 36% of respondents who claimed they have received a bigger job title with their current employer in the past two years, 54% said their job has changed dramatically. The remaining 46% claim that they are performing roughly the same job.

Article Continues Below

Meanwhile, how do executives feel about older workers? According to the survey, 4% think older workers have blocked their own career advancement; 20% somewhat agree; 38% strongly disagree; 20% somewhat disagree; and 18% neither agree nor disagree.

The Name Game

The survey also asked about the most strange, uncommon, or outlandish job titles respondents have come across in the business world. Here are a selection of the more interesting responses:

  • Director for Pilgrimage for Reconciliation
  • Rain Maker
  • Grand Fromage
  • Wizard
  • Director of First Impressions
  • Ecosystem Director
  • Chief Commercial Officer
  • Sanitary Engineer
  • Chief Knowledge Officer
  • Multicrafter
  • Chief Customer Officer
  • Innovation Scout
  • Factory Erection Coordinator
  • VP of People
  • Chief Diversity Officer
  • Chief Excellence Officer
  • Chief Client Director
  • Drink Later Leader at Coca-Cola
  • Chairman of the Office
  • Vice-Secretary
  • Director of First Impressions
  • Chief Csar
  • Chief Emotional Officer
  • CEO Logistics
  • Manager, Human Capital Reporting
  • General Dog’s Body
  • Chief Leisure Officer
  • Internet Evangelist
  • Executive VP, Special Projects
  • Director of Decisions?

Elaine Rigoli has nearly 15 years of experience managing content and community for various B2B and consumer websites. Elaine has written thousands of business and technology articles and has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal and eWeek, among other publications.

Topics

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *