Fresh from its acquisition of U.S.-based Computerjobs.com, U.K.-based JobServe announced it will acquire JobShark, a nine-year-old Canadian firm with 10 employees.
This is JobServe’s fourth acquisition in North America this year, and the first recent acquisition of a major Canadian online recruiter by a foreign buyer. Financial terms were not disclosed. In May 2006, JobServe purchased CareerBoard.com and Computerwork.com.
“I am never satisfied with the status quo, and our acquisition of ComputerJobs.com along with our previous purchase of ComputerWork.com and CareerBoard.com provides us with the ideal platform and user base for our expansion into the U.S.,” JobServe founder Robbie Cowling stated in a news release.
JobServe, formed in 1993, is the second-largest IT job site in Australia and is quickly expanding into the U.S. market.
Meanwhile, the Carlisle Group has acquired Chadwick Nott, a U.K.-based legal recruitment specialist, for an estimated £2 million comprising cash and loan notes.
Article Continues Below
Guide: Practical Tips for Remote Hiring
“The addition of Chadwick Nott complements our increasing presence in the professional and executive staffing sector and our existing client base that includes national and international law firms, regional private and commercial law firms, and local industry leaders,” said Richard Bradford, Carlisle’s chief executive officer, in a news release.
Specialized boards today make up some 70% of the roughly 40,000 job sites on the Web, compared with 50% or 55% of the sites in 2001, according to Peter Weddle, editor and publisher of Weddle’s Guides.
The Top Niche Sites
TopJobSites, a privately held company that organizes and reviews specialty job boards, recently created a list of the overall top niche sites, including Dice.com, eFinancialCareers.com, jobsinthemoney, and Retirement Jobs. The company also ranked the niche sites that remain number one in their respective categories, including:
- Bio/pharm: Medzilla.com
- Call center careers: Callcentercareers.com
- Catering careers: Caterer.com
- Clearance careers: ClearanceJobs.com
- Communications: TalentZoo.com
- Construction: MEP at Work
- Engineering: Engineering Central
- Healthcare careers: allnurses.com
- Human resources: Jobs4HR
- Insurance: Great Insurance Jobs
- Legal: Lawjobs.com
- Leisure careers: Leisure Jobs
- Linguists careers: Top Language Jobs
- Marketing careers: Marketing Jobs
- Media careers: TVJobs.com
- Post-military careers: Destiny Group
- Sales careers: Sales Jobs
- Securities careers: BrokerHunter.com
- Sports careers: JobsInSports.com
- Teaching: eteach.com
- Telecommunications: telecomcareers.net