In a telephone intensive business like ours, getting through the gatekeepers (GK) can be a major problem. The magazine Selling Power ran an article on the subject with some interesting points:
- Honor the gatekeeper. Respecting their position goes a long way towards getting their help.
- Reveal your identity. No camouflage here. Letting them know who you are before they ask shows you have nothing to hide and they may lower their guard a bit.
- Leave a message. It legitimizes your call.
- Rudeness repels. “Please” and “thank you” go a long way.
- Act professional. Convince the GK of your professionalism and they’ll be more likely to put you through.
- Be truthful. They’ve heard every bob and weave in the book.
- Team up with the GK. Make them an ally.
- Make their job easier. Leave voice mail messages instead of having the GK take the message.
Article Continues Below
Guide: Practical Tips for Remote Hiring
- Don’t pretend to know your prospects or say they’ll know why you’re calling.
- Don’t be a bully.
- Don’t hang-up on them.
- Don’t make excessive demands.
- Don’t be excessively sweet. It can compromise your sincerity.