Guard your golden hours:
Some of the best advice I received when I was a recruiting neophyte was the idea of guarding my golden hours. The early morning hours, both before work and during, set the tone for the rest of your day. If you guard this time and create your own success ritual, you’ll have a much better chance of becoming a high performer.
Pour the foundation:
If you want to build a tall skyscraper, you don’t start the foundation at street level. You have to dig deep and pour the foundation well below the surface if you want to build something big. In fact, the taller the building, the deeper the foundation must be. This holds true for people as well.
So, if you want to have influence, perform at a high level, build a strong company, become a top producer, you too must have a strong personal foundation. A powerful morning success ritual is an easy way to ensure that you lay the proper foundation to your day-and your life.
My Morning Ritual:
1. The night before:
- Lay out clothes (No brain drain. No excuses not to work out)
- 2 minute breathing exercise- sleep better.
2. Physical workout:
- Up about 5 AM
- 20 minute run or weights
- 2 minute breathing exercise
- Finish early- nothing can interfere
- Must be fun!
- Log on calendar
3. Mental workout:
Article Continues Below
How mature is your hiring process? Answer these 5 questions and find out.
- I perform my mental workout during my run
- Gratitude: people, health, affluence
- Mental rehearsal: visualization of goals
- Listen to books on tape
- One hour of coffee everyday
- Conversation with my wife
- Reward for workout
- After this we’ve already had personal time
5. Arrive at office: Around 7:15 AM
Morning Ritual Idea Bank:
- Cardio or weights
- Review goals on flash cards
- Mental rehearsal/visualization
- Grape Nuts for breakfast
- Read something you really want to read
- Spend 20 minutes w/your spouse/children
- One hour for coffee/ paper
- Walk three miles each morning
- Make your bed before you leave
- Spiritual practice for 20 minutes
- Write in your journal
- Take your vitamins
ACTION STEP: Create your morning ritual
Now comes the most important part where you design your own personal morning ritual.
Fill in the blanks below.
- The night before:
- Up at:
- Physical workout:
- Mental workout:
- Relationships/ fun:
- Arrive at office:
- Strong start: I intend to complete _____ calls before 10 AM everyday.